November 22, 2025
The Heads of the African Union Election Observation Mission, the ECOWAS Election Observation Mission and the West African Elders Forum have voiced strong concern over the reported announcement of a coup d’état by Guinea-Bissau’s armed forces.
Their joint statement, issued on Thursday in response to the post-election tension, was signed by former President of Mozambique, Filipe Nyusi; Issifu Kamara; and former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan.
The missions noted that the voting process for the presidential and legislative elections had been conducted peacefully, with orderly participation from citizens, polling staff, security agencies and party representatives. They said the military’s intervention disrupted a process that had been progressing smoothly.
“Despite the positive conduct of the elections, we are deeply troubled by the announcement of a coup d’état at a time when the nation was awaiting the release of official results,” the statement read.
They added that the development was particularly concerning as it came shortly after their meeting with the two leading presidential candidates, both of whom had pledged to respect the outcome of the polls.
The missions criticised the attempt to derail the democratic process and urged the African Union and ECOWAS to take appropriate measures to ensure the restoration of constitutional order.
They also expressed worry over the arrest of senior officials, including those responsible for overseeing the elections, and called for their immediate release so the electoral process could continue to its conclusion.
“We urge the people of Guinea-Bissau to remain calm, and reaffirm our commitment to supporting the country on its democratic path. Preserving peace, stability and the well-being of citizens remains essential during this sensitive period,” they said.
Guinea-Bissau held its presidential and legislative elections on November 23. While the country awaited the results, a group of military officers declared they had taken power, announcing the removal of the president and suspension of the electoral process.
Visit GMTNewsng for more news.


