President Bola Tinubu has directed security agencies to intensify efforts to secure the release of 44 abducted pupils from Mussa community in Borno State, as Governor Babagana Zulum meets their anxious parents.

The Federal Government and the Borno State Government have intensified efforts to secure the safe release of about 44 pupils abducted from Mussa community in Askira/Uba Local Government Area of Borno State.

Governor Babagana Zulum disclosed the rescue efforts on Friday when he met with parents of the abducted children in Maiduguri following an appeal by the families for urgent government intervention.

The children were abducted from Mussa Central Primary School on May 15, 2026, during an attack on the community. Mussa lies on the fringes of the Sambisa Forest and has faced recurring security challenges.

Addressing the parents, Zulum expressed sympathy over the prolonged ordeal and assured them of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s commitment to securing the children’s return.

The governor said the President had directed security agencies to intensify operations aimed at rescuing the children and reuniting them with their families.

“On behalf of the government and people of Borno, I once again extend my sympathies over what happened at Mussa Central Primary School,” Zulum said.

He added that the Nigerian Armed Forces and the Borno State Government were working together to achieve the safe return of the children.

The meeting came after parents of the abducted pupils requested urgent intervention from the state and federal authorities amid growing anxiety over the children’s prolonged captivity.

The abduction has now stretched for more than three months, with families continuing to wait for information about the whereabouts and condition of their children. Reuters reported on Friday that families of the missing children had protested in Uba, demanding stronger government action to secure their release.

The prolonged captivity has intensified concerns among residents of Mussa and surrounding communities, particularly over the safety of children attending schools in areas vulnerable to attacks by armed groups.

Earlier accounts of the May 15 incident produced varying figures. The Emir of Uba initially reported that 48 people had been abducted, including 37 primary-school pupils, six secondary-school students and five other residents. Subsequent community and media verification produced different figures, while the latest statement by Governor Zulum refers specifically to about 44 primary-school pupils still being sought.

Zulum said the Federal Government, Nigerian Armed Forces and Borno State authorities were coordinating efforts to secure the children’s release.

He assured the parents that the government would continue doing everything possible to bring their children home safely.

The governor had previously said security deployments were being strengthened in Askira, Uba and adjoining communities following the Mussa attack. The government also pledged to reinforce security measures to prevent further attacks in the affected areas.

The latest development comes amid continued concern over school security in Borno and other parts of northern Nigeria, where armed groups have targeted educational institutions and communities.

In June, parents and community leaders also called for urgent action to rescue children abducted from Mussa, with the issue becoming a growing source of anxiety in Southern Borno.

Zulum reiterated his administration’s commitment to supporting the affected families and working with federal authorities to secure the release of the children.

He said the government understood the pain and uncertainty being experienced by the parents and would continue to pursue every available avenue to achieve a safe rescue.

The meeting was attended by Senator Ali Ndume, representing Southern Borno Senatorial District, alongside senior officials of the state government, including the commissioners responsible for education and inter-governmental affairs.

The authorities have continued to urge affected communities to cooperate with security agencies and provide useful intelligence that could assist ongoing rescue operations.

For the parents of the abducted pupils, however, the priority remains clear: the safe return of their children after months in captivity.

Visit GMTNewsng for more news stories.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here