Abia State Governor Alex Otti says his administration’s refusal to interfere in security operations has contributed to the state’s improved security, declaring, “We have nothing to hide.”

Abia State Governor Alex Otti has attributed the state’s improved security situation partly to his administration’s policy of non-interference in the operations of security agencies.

Otti said the approach had allowed security commanders to carry out their responsibilities without political interference, contributing to what he described as impressive security gains since he assumed office.

The governor spoke on Wednesday at a send-off ceremony organised by the Abia Government for immediate past security commanders at the Michael Okpara Auditorium in Umuahia.

Explaining his administration’s position on security operations, Otti said he would not use his office to interfere with police or other security agencies by demanding the release of suspects or individuals arrested during investigations.

“The reason we don’t interfere is that we have nothing to hide. And for us, what is right is right. If it is not right, it’s not right,” the governor said.

“Because, I won’t pick up my phone and call the Commissioner of Police or anybody to say release somebody. Once you start doing that, then you’ve started losing it.”

Otti said the policy had helped create an environment in which security agencies could operate professionally and independently.

He commended the outgoing commanders for their sacrifices, discipline, hard work and cooperation with the state government, noting that their responsibilities often required them to sacrifice their own comfort and sleep to protect residents.

“I relied on all of you, and because we take security very seriously, and because we also have God on our side, the results have been very impressive,” he said.

Those honoured at the ceremony included former Commander of the Nigerian Army’s 14 Brigade, Ohafia, Brigadier-General Hassan Bello; former Abia Commissioner of Police, Danladi Isah; former State Director of Security Services, Ibrahim Sariki; former State Commander of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Akinsola Aderemi; and former Commander of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Chigbu Chile.

Otti assured the outgoing commanders that the cordial relationships established during their service in Abia would continue despite their transfers.

He also promised that the state would remain hospitable to them and disclosed that additional parting gifts had been arranged for the former commanders.

According to him, the gifts would be delivered through his Special Adviser on Security Matters.

The Secretary to the Abia State Government, Dr Emmanuel Meribeole, commended the outgoing commanders for their contributions to strengthening the state’s security architecture.

Meribeole said they served during a period when security received priority attention from the Otti administration, adding that collaboration between the government and security agencies had produced positive results.

He urged the incoming commanders to sustain the commitment to protecting lives and property across the state.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Security Matters, Navy Commander MacDonald Ubah (rtd.), described the send-off ceremony as an established tradition of the Otti administration for appreciating security commanders who have served in Abia.

Ubah thanked the governor for providing security agencies with the logistics and operational support required to perform their duties effectively.

He also urged the new commanders to build on the achievements of their predecessors.

In separate goodwill messages, the outgoing commanders commended the Otti administration for its sustained support for security agencies in the state.

They described Otti as a security-friendly governor whose provision of logistics and other forms of support helped motivate security personnel to carry out their duties effectively.

The commanders also described Abia as one of the more secure states in the country, attributing the progress to the governor’s commitment to security and cooperation with security agencies.

The ceremony was attended by senior government officials, security chiefs and other dignitaries.

Otti’s remarks reinforce his administration’s stated emphasis on institutional cooperation and operational independence in security matters, with the governor maintaining that government support should strengthen security agencies rather than compromise their professional responsibilities.

Visit GMTNewsng for more news stories.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here