A Magistrates’ Court sitting in Sagamu, Ogun State, on Tuesday adjourned the trial of Adeniyi Kayode, the driver involved in the fatal road crash that killed two aides of former world heavyweight boxing champion Anthony Joshua, to February 25.

Kayode, 45, appeared before the court for the continuation of his trial on a four-count charge. He had earlier been granted bail in the sum of ₦5 million, with two sureties in like sum.

The defendant is facing charges bordering on dangerous driving causing death, reckless and negligent driving, driving without due care and attention resulting in bodily harm and damage to property, as well as driving without a valid national driver’s licence.

Kayode was arraigned on January 2 before Magistrate Olajumoke following the accident, which occurred on December 29, 2025, in front of Sinamo Company along the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway.

According to the prosecution, the defendant was driving a Lexus 570 SUV with registration number KRD 850 HM, conveying Joshua alongside his aides, Latif Ayodele and Sina Ghami, when he allegedly drove dangerously, resulting in a fatal crash that led to the deaths of Ayodele and Ghami.

Joshua was said to have sustained minor injuries in the accident.

The prosecution counsel, Mr Richard Nijiwe, told the court that the offences contravened Sections 5(1), 6(1), 7(1) and 10(1) of the Federal Highway Act, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

Nijiwe applied for an adjournment to allow the transmission of the case file to the Ogun State Attorney-General’s Office through the Department of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for legal advice.

However, defence counsel, Mr Abiodun Olalekan, opposed the application, insisting that the defence was ready to proceed with the trial.

In her ruling, Magistrate Somefun granted the prosecution’s request and adjourned the matter to February 25 for further hearing.

Visit GMTNewsng for more news.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here